"It's more interesting to have just a picture of a small detail - then you can dream all the rest around it. Because when you see the whole thing, what is there to imagine?" -Dries Van Noten

Friday, July 15, 2011

Five minutes with Kym Ellery


I caught up with Kym Ellery for 30 Days of Fashion & Beauty to find out more about the DHL Express Fashion Export Scholarship, coping with pressure of the industry and her hopes for the future.

How does it feel to be a finalist for the DHL Express Fashion Export Scholarship?
I am so excited to be able to be a part of this!

The Scholarship aims to identify Australia’s emerging fashion talent – do you still consider yourself an ‘emerging’ designer despite such success on an international scale?
Definitely. I think one emerges for a very long time as our globe and industry is a big one.

What would winning the scholarship mean for you?
It would be a huge honour to say the least!

You grew up experiencing the world of fashion alongside your artist mother, is she an inspiration to you?
My mother is such a huge inspiration. She is one of the smartest most talented and the strongest woman that I know. Most of all she is incredibly humble; a quality in her that I admire the most.

You moved to London to study at Central Saint Martins – what made you return to Australia?
I had a job offer that I couldn’t resist. Working in publishing is something I really wanted to do and thoroughly enjoyed. I took three and a half years to get to know that side of the industry before launching E L L E R Y properly.

You spend quite a lot of time in Paris – is this where you take inspiration for the label?
Largely yes. I think that the French have this impeccable way of dressing. I love to come here to re-ground my eye through observing “chic” at it’s best.

You’ve revealed hopes to show at Paris Fashion Week, do you feel pressure to take your label to this next level?
I love what I do and I am excited to be able to show new people on new shores what I do and give them a glimpse into my creative vision for garments.

It’s not just your label getting the attention of the fashion community – how does it feel to be considered a style icon yourself?
I’m flattered. I just wish I had more time to dress each morning. Running a business and label is all consuming so sometimes I feel I drop the ball in this department but I do love getting dressed for an occasion and for everyday life.

Do you have any exciting plans coming up?
I am currently working on the E L L E R Y gazette . issue two. I am really excited to launch this book. I am working with some really inspiring people on this project so I can’t wait to showcase their work.


For more fashion and beauty news and to join the 30 Days of Fashion & Beauty A-list head to www.30daysoffashionandbeauty.com.au

No comments: